Intern with the Festival
The New York International Children’s Film Festival (NYICFF) is a year-round nonprofit arts organization dedicated to building a dynamic film culture for families and classrooms. Now in its 23rd year, NYICFF delivers impactful programming to children, students, families, educators, filmmakers and the media arts field through its three core activities: its Oscar®-qualifying, annual NYC-based film festival; its city-wide media arts and literacy program, Film-Ed; and its national screening program NYICFF Kid Flicks, serving major and regional cultural institutions, cinemas, and museums.
The NYICFF annual Festival consists of four weekends in the months of February and March. The Festival invites over 25,000 parents, children, and filmmakers to experience the best new films from around the world at venues throughout NYC. Each year, NYICFF scours the globe to present a highly selective slate of the best animated, live action, documentary and experimental films, narrowed down from over 2,500 international submissions.
In addition, New York International Children’s Film Festival offers year-round engagement, including school field trips, premieres and sneak preview screenings, a national program reaching cities nationwide, and more. As a small non-profit organization, the Festival relies heavily on the support of interns to help in the planning and execution of all of its programs.
Internships at NYICFF provide an opportunity to work collaboratively with the staff in all departments and create a direct impact on current projects. Interns will leave with a greater knowledge in successfully operating an international film festival, development of educational engagement around cutting edge film and media content, and strategy in the cultivation and management of partnerships, sponsorships, and grants. In addition to new skills acquired, networking and additional relationship building opportunities are made available.
The internship runs from January through May.
Internship positions are available in the following areas:
- Researching, requesting, previewing and tracking international short and feature film submissions for 2020 Festival and special programs
- Managing Google Sheets and Excel databases and online submissions platforms
- Fielding general requests and queries
- Providing event support for special year round programs including special sneak peek screenings, and field trip screenings
- Research and track funders for grants and individual donor proposalS
- Assist in writing proposals for Festival and education programming and developing materials for annual membership drive
- Assist in planning and execution of the annual benefit and auction.
*Applicant should have a strong background in research and writing. Prior non-profit experience a plus
- Assist in the planning and execution of special events and Festival screenings
- Help with the compilation of Festival organizational materials
- Facilitate volunteer recruitment and scheduling
- Support the planning and execution of marketing campaigns
- Create content for Festival social media channels
- Compose emails and film copy for Festival communications/collateral
- Research and cultivate new partnership opportunities with schools, community groups, and arts educators
- Coordinate and manage field trip screenings (Tuesdays and Thursdays availability preferred) and pop-up film camps
- Assist with curriculum development as well as design
- Assist in the research, outreach and management of NYICFF Kid Flicks, the Festival’s national touring program
- Experience working with children preferred
- Some experience with Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, InDesign)
- Availability on Tuesdays, Thursdays and/or Fridays preferred
- Comfortable with public speaking and large audiences
All interns may be asked to assist at field trip or weekend screenings, filmmaking camps, and/or fundraising or other special events.
Applicants must be responsible, intelligent, have excellent communication skills and have a strong interest in film and/or non-profit management. Internship is unpaid, but may be applied towards school credit if arranged with school.
If interested and can commit at least 2 days/week, please complete the form below.