Field Trip screenings display a wide range of filmmaking techniques, and an even wider range of perspectives as our festival includes works from over thirty countries. Each screening is followed by a conversation or Q&A with either a filmmaker, a special guest or a member of our Festival team, during which students will learn to think about form and craft as well as visual representation.
We know the importance of discussing literature in a classroom setting, and we believe that it is equally important to discuss film this way. Learning to dissect and interpret visual storytelling is an important skill to have in a society in which screen content is an integral part of everyday life.
In addition to the short film programs listed bellow, foreign language feature films are available upon request.
Short Films One
Grades K-2 – The films in this program rely on music, color, and clear narratives to tell their stories either with no dialogue or in English
Short Films Two
Grades 3-5 – Films in this program display a variety of film techniques with layered stories and perspectives. Some films include subtitles
Short Films Three
Grades 6-8 – With many diverse cultural perspectives, these films explore identity and belonging.
- Field trips take place at Festival venues in midtown and lower Manhattan that are easily accessible by public transportation and can accommodate bus drop-off.
- Total program runtime is 2 hours (screening is approx. 1 hour)
- $10/student (free admission for teachers and chaperones)
- All programs are available at no cost to Title 1 public schools where at least 40% of the student body comes from low-income households
- Transportation must be arranged by school
All Programs Include
- Ballots for audience voting
- Post-screening discussions with filmmakers, Festival staff, and/or special guests
- Customized discussion guides for teachers to promote conversation in the classroom and further explore film content, themes, and filmmaking styles/techniques
Interested in bringing your school?
Fill out the following form, and we’ll get back to you with next steps and available dates!
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions